With family members named Vinny, Nicki, Terry, Stevie, Stevie, Nicky, Tommy, Timmy, Nikki, Donna, Susie, and Lori, I know a thing or two about Italian dining. Straight outta Sicily my grandparents came here, and they don't shy from critiquing Italian food.
I may not know how to speak Italian but I do know how to EAT Italian.
And I do know "maiale del mondo," which means "pig of the world,"
you can imagine how little I have enjoyed being called that.
So, here is how to make comfort food a little (a lot) better for you!
Watch me make this on youtube or read the step by step instructions below:
1 box GF Pasta
1 lb ground turkey
1 can San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes
1 jar Rao's Arabiatta Sauce
2 Spiralized Zucchini
1 White Onion
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
6-8 cloves garlic
1 head broccoli
1 sweet potato
1 red pepper
1/5 oz container fresh basil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 can of full fat coconut milk (just cream) (5.46 fl oz)
Salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
1. In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of olive/avocado oil over medium heat. add 1/2 chopped white onion and 2 tbsp chopped garlic. Let simmer until the onions turn translucent.
2. When fragrant, add ground turkey to the pan and break it up with a spatula. Cook until no longer pink, and set aside.
3. While the turkey is cooking, chop the rest of the veggies (including basil+ stems!), and add to a large pot with 1-2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
4. Let cook for 5-10 minutes or until veggies are fork tender (specifically the sweet potatoes), and add the san marzano tomatoes + arabiatta sauce to the pan. Let simmer together.
5. Add the coconut cream (not the watery portion) to the sauce mixture, and 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast.
5. Boil water and cook the GF pasta according to the instruction on the box. GF pasta will cook differently, and can release more starch than regular, don't worry! Drain pasta and add to the large sauce pan.
6. LASTLY, spiralize the zucchini and add to the pan.
ENJOY!!! This makes a lot of food and makes great leftovers and freezes VERY well!